Reevaluating Leadership: Lessons from Polar Explorers

 

Have you ever considered that we may be celebrating the wrong leaders in our society?

I recently read a Ted Talk that shares the history of two polar explorers: Roald Amundsen and Ernest Shackleton. Amundsen, who achieved major polar milestones with careful planning and minimal drama, is largely forgotten, while Shackleton, known for his catastrophic expeditions, is celebrated as a leadership role model. 



The speaker argues that we mistake dramatic, action-filled stories for effective leadership. He says "We often see leadership potential in people who speak more, regardless of what they say." He urges us to recognize and reward leaders who prevent crises through meticulous planning and effective management, rather than those who thrive in chaos.

What I learned was that true leadership often involves preventing problems before they arise, which might not make for exciting stories but leads to better outcomes. A real leader thinks ahead to keep other safe.

What I liked most about this Ted Talk was the use of the historical example and the compelling contrast between Amundsen and Shackleton. The speaker's argument is well-supported by these real-world examples, making the concept more relatable.

I'd recommend anyone interested in leadership, management, or organizational behavior to read this. It challenges your idea of a great leader and encourages you to look beyond flashy actions to appreciate the quieter but more effective leader.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DJI Drones - Your Eye In The Sky

Exploring the Wild West: My Experience with Red Dead Redemption 2